Ultimate Back to School Survival Guide
The kids are going back to school which means back to routine. Back to making lunches and having dinner ready at a certain time, because you know night time activities like gymnastics, karate etc. start up again. We want to help you get ready and survive back to school season with some tips and recipes.
Top 3 Tips to Survive Back to School from The GG Sisters
- The week leading up to school, we recommend that you start getting the kids back in to routine. For us, the kids have been going to bed at 9:30pm all summer, and waking up at 9:00am. Starting next week, they will be heading to bed at 8pm and waking up at 7:30am.
- Make a BACK TO SCHOOL VISION BOARD – Take out your favourite magazines, get some bristol board, and have the kids create their goals for the year ahead. This will get them excited and motivated to head back to school, while deflecting from the back to school jitters.
- Come up with some menu ideas for back to school to make your life as a parent easier. Have the kids help you too! Here are some fun meals using our favourite Natural from the Farm deli products from Maple Lodge Farms that will help you SURVIVE one full day of quick and easy meals. It will keep the kids fed, on time for school and extracurricular Plus, you might even have leftovers so you don’t have to make lunch or dinner the following day. I know, I know you love us…
Recipe 1: Breakfast in a Blanket
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped veggies of choice (bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, etc)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes
- 8 slices Maple Lodge Farms Natural from the Farm Oven Roasted Turkey
Did you know that Maple Lodge Farms Natural from the Farm deli is made with all-natural ingredients (you can actually read all the ingredients) and all products are gluten-free?
- In a skillet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, sauté the veggies for a couple of minutes until tender.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and cheese (if using). Add whisked egg to the veggie mixture and scramble until cooked through.
- Place turkey slices (2 for each “burrito”) on a flat surface, and divide egg mixture evenly onto the slices. Roll up the turkey slice around the egg mixture, creating a burrito, add a cherry grape tomato and toothpick to bring together.
Recipe 2: Sandwich on a Stick
- 4 (6-inch) skewers
- 6 slices of Maple Lodge Farms Natural from the Farm Garlic & Pepper Chicken or Oven Roasted Chicken
- 4 oz. Cheddar cheese, cut into small squares
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 2 slices of bread, fajitas or pitas
Did you know that Maple Lodge Farms Natural from the Farm deli has 30% less sodium than the leading natural deli products, and no sugar is added to Oven Roasted Chicken & Oven Roasted Turkey Flavours?
- Soak skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Thread skewers with all ingredients listed above.
Oven Roasted Chicken Carbonara Al Forno
- 1 pack of Maple Lodge Farms Natural from the Farm Oven Roasted Chicken (Cut in to mini pieces)
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 full garlic clove minced
- 4 slices of Maple Lodge Farms chicken bacon
- 3 thinly sliced onions
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 300ml reduced-fat thickened cooking cream
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup of peas
Did you know that there are very few other companies that offer flavoured chicken deli? Maple Lodge Farms Natural from the Farm deli offers the oven roasted flavour you love, but also provides delicious variety with Spicy BBQ and Garlic & Pepper flavours.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, following packet directions
- Drain and return to saucepan
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat
- Add bacon. Cook, stirring, for 3 min or until bacon is nearly to your liking
- Add garlic and onion, stirring for 1 min
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, cream, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste
- Add egg mixture, peas and Maple Lodge Farms oven roasted chicken to pasta, toss to combine
- Spoon into a prepared baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
Bake for 20-30 until browned and bubbling!
Now it’s your turn to try these simple and easy recipes. Enjoy our back to school survival guide, and best of luck in the coming weeks!
Blog post was sponsored by Maple Lodge Farms, however all thoughts and ideas are our own.