‘Ohana Pineapple Coconut Breakfast Bread Recipe
Inspired by Disney World’s ‘Ohana Restaurant
If you have been following from the beginning you know that we are lovers of all things Disney. Whenever we go to Disney, one of the things we look forward to is our family breakfast at ‘Ohana in Disney World. They serve up this Hawaiian bread that is out of this world. We decided to make it for ourselves during COVID, and we think we came pretty close to the real thing.
The word ʻOhana means welcome in the Hawaiian language, but in a much wider sense, to include not only one’s closer relatives, but also one’s cousins, in-laws, friends, race, and other neighbours. The idea is also that family and friends are bound together and everyone must work together and not forget each other. -From Wikipedia.
1 ¾ Warm Water
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons of butter
4 ½ cups of flour
½ tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of sugar (for yeast mixture)
½ cup of sugar (for flour mixture)
1 cup of sugar (for pineapple coconut mixture)
1 ¼ ounces of dry yeast
100ml of diced pineapple and drain it- cut very small
100ml of shredded coconut
1 tablespoons of corn starch
Glaze- Icing sugar & 4 teaspoons of water
Cast Iron Pan
- Pineapple Coconut Mixture- Combine pineapple and coconut in one bowl. Mix 1 cup of sugar and corn starch in a separate bowl. Combine all together and place in the fridge covered for 1 hour.
- Yeast Mixture: Mix water, 1 tbsp of sugar and yeast in small bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add egg yolk to yeast mixture
- In a mixer with a dough hook- combine flour, salt, butter, and sugar. Process until it’s all incorporated.
- Slowly start adding yeast mixture
- Process until a soft ball forms
- Oil a bowl and transfer dough ball to bowl. Cover and let sit for 2 hours.
- Roll dough onto a floured surface and make a thick rectangle about 1.5” think to 2”” thick.
- Spread the pineapple coconut mix over the tip.
- Fold the dough onto itself and cut into pieces with a pizza cutter.
- Roll into mini balls and place them in a cast-iron pan.
- Cover the pan with wrap and let sit for an hour.
- Bake at 385F for 25 minutes
- While its baking create an egg wash. One egg beat up.
- Remove bread from the oven at 25-minute mark add egg wash.
- Place bread back in the oven for another 15 minutes at 385.
- Make a light glaze- 4 teaspoons of water and a half cup of icing sugar- and mix!
- Remove bread from oven and coat with a light glaze and serve!